From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Problems with complieing with amd64
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:24:21
1 Nestor Camacho III posted <43565060.5040604@××××.com>, excerpted below,
2 on Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:55:44 -0400:
3
4 > <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
5 > <html>
6 > <head>
7 > <meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type">
8 > <title></title>
9 > </head>
10 > <body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000">
11 > I have one of those Sun Java workstations, and figured I would put
12 > gentoo on it. While I was installing it I would sometimes get the
13 > following symptoms. <br>
14
15 Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to your question, but... in the
16 future could you please refrain from posting HTML to the list? It's
17 common in the Linux and open source community to consider HTML mail the
18 playground of spammers and crackers, and as such, many either filter it
19 entirely, or at minimum use clients that don't parse it, for security
20 reasons. Thus, HTML posts come out looking like crap, if they are seen at
21 all, and folks that might otherwise have your answer never reply, either
22 because they didn't see the post in the first place, or because they
23 simply don't reply to those that post HTML.
24
25 On the Gentoo lists/groups, people aren't as strict and you'll often get a
26 reply, but it's still a good idea to turn off HTML once you are made aware
27 of the fact you are posting with it. After all, is your post /really/ so
28 lacking in content that it /must/ be dressed up all fancy in HTML to make
29 it interesting enough to read? If not, why waste the bandwidth and risk
30 offense, unnecessarily?
35 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
36 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
40 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list