From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: k3b not working [fixed]
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:30:37
1 Gavin Seddon posted <1134386969.11073.6.camel@linuxstation>, excerpted
2 below, on Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:29:29 +0000:
3
4 > I had found this
5 >
6 > http://users.dslextreme.com/~craig.lawson/linux_notes/gentoo_portage.html#Locating_and_installing_specific
7 >
8 > A better question would have been,
9 > 'how do I find the full package name for 'emerge ='?
10
11 do an emerge --pretend, and get the category off of that?
12
13 BTW, while the emerge =pkg-name-version-release thing works, it's only a
14 rough hack, not suitable for anything more than temporary use, because the
15 moment you try to run an emerge --update --deep world (or without the
16 deep, if it's something in your world file), it'll want to replace your
17 very carefully selected version with the latest version matching your
18 keyword (~amd64 or amd64).
19
20 Adding the appropriate packages to either package.mask/package.unmask, as
21 desired, or if you simply want to toggle between ~arch and stable, adding
22 the package (without version) and desired keyword to package.keyword,
23 avoids the problem of having portage continually want to remerge a
24 different version than what you want.
25
26 Again, read the handbook, particularly the Working with Gentoo and Working
27 with Portage sections (you can skip some of the developer stuff if you
28 want). Too many folks read /only/ the install portion, and then
29 wonder why "Working with Gentoo" and "Working with Portage" are so hard
30 for them! (I actually read those sections at least twice, once when I was
31 still researching whether I wanted to switch to Gentoo and what it would
32 entail, so I had a decent grasp of how managing it was going to be
33 different than managing my then Mandrake system, even if I didn't
34 understand everything I was reading because I couldn't actually try it,
35 then again, once I actually had Gentoo up and running, and could actually
36 try things on a running system to see how they worked.)
37
38 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml
43 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
44 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
48 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list