From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: k3b not working [fixed]
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:30:37
Gavin Seddon posted <1134386969.11073.6.camel@linuxstation>, excerpted
below,  on Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:29:29 +0000:

> I had found this > > > > A better question would have been, > 'how do I find the full package name for 'emerge ='?
do an emerge --pretend, and get the category off of that? BTW, while the emerge =pkg-name-version-release thing works, it's only a rough hack, not suitable for anything more than temporary use, because the moment you try to run an emerge --update --deep world (or without the deep, if it's something in your world file), it'll want to replace your very carefully selected version with the latest version matching your keyword (~amd64 or amd64). Adding the appropriate packages to either package.mask/package.unmask, as desired, or if you simply want to toggle between ~arch and stable, adding the package (without version) and desired keyword to package.keyword, avoids the problem of having portage continually want to remerge a different version than what you want. Again, read the handbook, particularly the Working with Gentoo and Working with Portage sections (you can skip some of the developer stuff if you want). Too many folks read /only/ the install portion, and then wonder why "Working with Gentoo" and "Working with Portage" are so hard for them! (I actually read those sections at least twice, once when I was still researching whether I wanted to switch to Gentoo and what it would entail, so I had a decent grasp of how managing it was going to be different than managing my then Mandrake system, even if I didn't understand everything I was reading because I couldn't actually try it, then again, once I actually had Gentoo up and running, and could actually try things on a running system to see how they worked.) -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: k3b not working [fixed] Gavin Seddon <gavin.m.seddon@×××××××××××××.uk>
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: k3b not working [fixed] Gavin Seddon <gavin.m.seddon@×××××××××××××.uk>