From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] ~amd64 vs. ~x86
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:40:57
1 On 11/29/05, Alex Bennee <alex@××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 19:52 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 > > A questions though. Just because an app is not tested on AMD64, and
5 > > hence not keyworded with amd64 or ~amd64, doesn't mean it has a
6 > > problem, does it? It just means it's not tested, right? Or am I
7 > > incorrect in that?
8 >
9 > Sure, but you it depends if you want to make all x86 (but not amd64 or
10 > ~amd64) apps available. My personal preference is to clone the ebuilds
11 > of stuff I want to try that hasn't got an amd keyword of one sort or
12 > another into my overlay directory and then build them. This means my
13 > systems is:
14 >
15 > * mainly stable amd64 packages
16 > * with a selection of ~amd64 packages (via package.keywords)
17 > * with a few cloned/overlayed x86 only builds manually editied to be
18 > ~amd64
19 >
20 > Hopefully this stops you whole system being pulled into an unstable
21 > state.
22
23 Yes, I hope so. Since I never build with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" but
24 rather put all keywords in package.keywords, I've rebuilt almost all
25 the ~x86 applications with ~amd64. I have not done the --emptytree
26 rebuild yet and may not for the next week or two just to see how
27 things go.
28
29 Thanks for the strategies.
30