From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Networking bridging
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 09:19:36
1 Chris Brennan <xaero@××××××××××.net> posted
2 47BCE4AB.2000500@××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Wed, 20 Feb 2008
3 21:40:43 -0500:
4
5 > I am trying to set up a Bridge for Qemu to use. I followed the guide at
6 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/
7 HOWTO:_Qemu#Using_TUN.2FTAP_interface_as_a_normal_user
8 > but when ever the bridge starts, I loose connectivity outside of my box
9 > :/ ... am I missing something ....
10
11 I've not done bridging or the like here so don't know the details, nor do
12 I claim to be a routing expert, but in the hope this will at least get
13 you pointed in the right direction...
16 That sounds like a routing issue. When the bridge starts, it gets
17 precedence routing and the regular eth0 interface drops back a notch. To
18 correct it you'd need to adjust your routing table, presumably by
19 specifically setting the bridge interface routing to a lower precedence.
20 (Beyond that, I don't know, as I've simply kept note of enough info about
21 it to know where to start reading if I ever face routing issues or need
22 to setup additional interfaces. Hopefully, it's enough to start you in
23 the right direction as well...)
24
25 Additionally, are you sure the bridge should be setup as eth0 when you
26 already have an eth0? As I said, I don't know a lot about it, but I'd
27 have expected it to be, say, eth1, not eth0, unless you indeed /did/ want
28 it to actually replace eth0 when it was enabled.
29
30 Hope it helps... and that someone who better knows the subject matter
31 comes along with more help. =8^S
36 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
39 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list