From: "Claes Gyllenswärd" <letharion@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Firefox/Firefox-bin & Flash
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 17:03:16
1 2010/12/9 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>:
2 > Related to Dale's new machine/Gentoo 64-bit questions one other thing
3 > popped into my frazzled mind this morning that I've been meaning to
4 > ask.
5 >
6 > Sometime ago Flash for 64-bit was masked due to 64-bit security
7 > issues. I started using Firefox-bin and the 32-bit version of Flash.
8 > (At least that's the way I understand what's getting emerged. I don't
9 > much care. It works...)
10 >
11 > Anyway, what's the status of all of that? It seems Duncan maybe has a
12 > workable Flash plugin for his browser. What's state of the art these
13 > days for either multi-lib or 64-bit only systems?
14 >
15 > Thanks,
16 > Mark
19 I haven't kept strictly up to date, but it's my understanding that
20 since then a new 64bit version has been released. And some new
21 security problems, it's flash after all, and two more releases I
22 think. So there's a "proper" 64-bit version out, if you consider
23 flash/binary proper.
24
25 On a related note, the alternative flash player lightspark has reached
26 a "actually useful for youtube some of the time" status, and the
27 current RC is supposed to improve this. Help me flattr the guys
28 lightspark blog posts and you can soon ditch another binary package.
29 :D