From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Updating An Unconnected Machine
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:03:43
1 Hello,
2
3 I have Gentoo installed on a machine that has no connection to
4 the Internet. The configuration of this machine is very similar
5 to another machine, which _has_ an Internet connection, also running
6 Gentoo. Only the CFLAGS variable differ.
7
8 Would it be possible to keep this unconnected Gentoo machine updated
9 by simply copying the entire portage directory, including distribution
10 files, from the connected machine?
11
12 I need to know what happens after doing "emerge --sync" followed
13 by "emerge -Du world". I assume that only the portage directory
14 is affected, that is, only those directories defined by the
15 PORTDIR, DISTDIR, PKGDIR, PORT_LOGDIR, PORTDIR_OVERLAY, and
16 PORTAGE_TMPDIR variables in the file make.conf. If this is
17 true, then copying those directories to the the unconnected
18 machine would allow me to update that machine, using emerge,
19 in parallel with the conected machine and without needing an
20 Internet connection.
21
22 Would this method be feasible? Unless I am overlooking some details
23 of the emerge process, I don't see any problems with it.
24
25 Frank Peters