From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: URGENT: No more fonts after xorg changes
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 10:55:17
1 On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 19:10:27 +0000 (UTC), Duncan wrote:
2
3 > Of course, here, I purposefully bought an ATI Radeon 9200 series
4 > graphics card since it has free drivers. I couldn't legally run
5 > slaveryware even if I wanted to, at least where EULAs are or could be
6 > considered legal, as I simply don't sign over the rights nearly all
7 > EULAs demand I sign over, viewing it much the same way I'd view an
8 > attempt to restrict my other basic rights, such as freedom of religion
9 > or freedom of expression. Until Nvidia has decent free drivers, they
10 > don't get my money,
11
12 There is no EULA that you *have* to agree to; Nvidia's installer
13 displays the licence, but has an option to skip this, so there is no
14 binding EULA. Nvidia's driver are free as in beer, but they are not open
15 source. This is because the code for some of the T&L stuff is licenced
16 from another company, and that licence doesn't allow Nvidia to distribute
17 the source.
18
19 That leaves Nvidia two choices, distribute closed source drivers for
20 Linux, or remove that code from the Linux drivers and have everyone
21 complain that the Linux drivers don't work as well as the Windows
22 drivers, don't work with some games (UT2004 was the one I was researching
23 when I found this out) and are another example of why Linux is inferior
24 to Windows.
25
26 I know which I'd prefer to have; this way the choice is mine. Choose
27 another make of card if you wish, but trying to influence people's
28 choices with such emotive phrases as "slaveryware" is uncalled for,
29 unless you work for Microsoft (or possibly Novell these days).
33 Neil Bothwick
34
35 KPLA Klingon Radio : All glory, all the time!