From: sean <tech.junk@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Alsa Config keeps disappearing (Appears Cured)
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 12:42:27
1 Thanks to all the helpful replies, and some things on my own, things
2 appear to be working.
3
4 As of this writing I have had three successful system starts and the
5 sound is now working properly on bootup.
6 Hopefully it will hold.
7 Some history below.
8
9 In the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa file I had tried specifying my motherboard
10 sound card as the only card. It did not work.
11 The USB Quickcam using snd_usb_audio always came up as the default sound
12 device. The cause of the problem.
13 I even tried to accommodate it and make it sound card two, but it still
14 insisted on being default.
15
16 Here are pieces of that /etc/modprobe.d/alsa file with the current
17 settings that work, so far.
18
19 ## ALSA portion
20 alias snd-card-0 snd_intel8x0
21 # alias snd-card-1 snd_usb_audio
22 ## OSS/Free portion
23 alias sound-slot-0 snd_intel8x0
24 # alias sound-slot-1 snd_usb_audio
25
26 # Set this to the correct number of cards.
27 options snd cards_limit=1
28 # options snd cards_limit=2
29
30 As you can see I currently have the snd_usb_audio commented out, since
31 making it the number two card made no difference.
32
33 I noticed a file called blacklist.conf in the same directory and was
34 curious.I saw the following comment and began to wonder.
35
36 # Autoloading eth1394 most of the time re-orders your network
37 # interfaces, and with buggy kernel 2.6.21, udev persistent-net
38 # is not able to rename these devices, so you get eth?_rename devices
39 # plus an exceeded 30sec boot timeout
40 blacklist eth1394
41
42 So I decided to try the following added to that file
43 blacklist snd_usb_audio
44
45 So far, as mentioned, since I added that comment alsa has worked on
46 startup with the webcam plugged in, and when I tested the webcam for
47 sound and video using the Ekiga test callback number sound and video worked.
48 No other problems appear evident due to my putting these settings in place.
49 Can anyone see a possible problem?
50
51 Hope it helps anyone with a similar problem, and again, thanks to all
52 for the help.
53
54 Sean