From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] VMware Player on Gentoo question
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 18:32:10
1 On 3/9/06, Marco Matthies <marco-ml@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Thierry de Coulon wrote:
3 > > I just came accross an article takling about a new program names
4 > > "parallels" (www.parallels.com) that is supposed to do the same thing as
5 > > vmware while being less expensive.
6 >
7 > You might also want to check out qemu[1], which is free and is in
8 > portage -- the main difference is a somewhat more spartanic user interface.
9
10 Interesting, but I wonder whether a guitar player / chip designer type
11 guy could set it up? Spartanic is not generally a good environment for
12 the likes of us.
15 > Just remember to use the kernel module kqemu as well for adequate speed
16 > (somewhat less than vmware at the moment, but it is going to get to
17 > vmware levels pretty soon).
18
19 The web page say this module is closed source. If that's the case then
20 why qemu vs. VMware vs. Parallels?
21
22 Thanks. It's very intersting. How does this compare to BOCHS?
23
24 Cheers,
25 Mark
26 >