From: "Vladimir G. Ivanovic" <vgivanovic@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] CFLAGS for Core2?
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 03:59:10
1 On Sat, 2006-09-23 at 09:48 +0200, Simon Stelling wrote:
2 > Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:
3 > > "riced out"? I assume you mean something like fried, but I don't
4 > > understand how bad CFLAGS can do anything except make your code run
5 > > slower.
6 >
7 > My favourite example of how you can waste other people's time:
8 %>< snip %><
9
10 Sorry. Very poor phrasing on my part. Of course bad CFLAGS can make a
11 system unusable.
12
13 Since I was assuming that "riced out"(*) meant that something physical
14 happened to the machine, what I really wanted to say was:
15
16 I don't understand how bad CFLAGS can do anything physical to a
17 machine.
18
19 But now I wonder if poorly chosen CFLAGS can lead to excessive CPU usage
20 which in turn would cause laptop batteries to explode? ;-)
21
22 --- Vladimir
23
24 (*) Google to the rescue: