From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: CD drive opening on boot!!
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 21:06:23
1 Paul Stear posted on Sat, 19 Dec 2009 14:27:49 +0000 as excerpted:
2
3 > Thanks for the replies, I have updated the kernel, udev and hal and the
4 > cd stays closed on boot. Thanks for the info. However I now have
5 > another problem:
6 > When I insert a usb drive or put a cd into the cd drive I am not getting
7 > any notification that they have been detected. I have now realised that
8 > this hasn't been working for sometime. Any thoughts on how to resolve
9 > this?
10
11 No notice... on what level? At the desktop? What desktop environment do
12 you use? No notification in the system log? For the USB drive, does the
13 device show up as a new /dev/sdX when you plug it in? Does lsusb see it?
14
15 IOW, you didn't include enough information to know where to start on that
16 problem, or even at what level the problem is appearing, system/kernel/
17 udev level, desktop environment level, or somewhere on the stack (dbus,
18 hal, perhaps fstab) between the two.
23 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman