From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift -slaveryware)
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 09:41:43
1 Bob Young <byoung@××××××××××.com> posted 451ECA46.7090302@××××××××××.com,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 30 Sep 2006 12:49:26 -0700:
3
4 > I suppose it comes down how one values being technically correct versus
5 > what actually happens in the real world. Personally I tend to be more
6 > practical, but certainly the world needs people who stick to the exact
7 > letter of the law, as we do of course need some accountants and lawyers.
8
9 > That being said, I can't resist making the tangential and totally off
10 > topic comment that I think America in general, has gone waaaaay too far
11 > toward the *exact letter of the law* side. Zero tolerance, mandatory
12 > sentences, and just the general "climate" of the society [...]
13
14 Conversely, I tend to take things literally, be a letter of the law guy as
15 you say. However, if I think the law goes to far, I'll simply call it at
16 that and choose whether I think that strongly enough to ignore it and face
17 the consequences or not. If I get caught speeding, it's because I thought
18 the speed limit was in appropriate and weighing the consequences, chose to
19 ignore that law and take the punishment if I was caught and it came.
20
21 I agree with where you are headed, but don't think failing to enforce the
22 letter of the law most of the time is the way to fix it. Rather, if the
23 law is too strict (and I too think it is), loosen it up. Change the law
24 tho, not the enforcement thereof.
25
26 If only the enforcement is changed, what happens is that we get a
27 situation where everybody's breaking the law but few pay the price.
28 That's a situation ripe for abuse, because /someone/ gets to choose who
29 the law /does/ get enforced on, and it's all too easy to play favorites,
30 due to skin color or wallet size (many would argue that's what's actually
31 happening today) or whether sexual or other favors were paid.
32
33 Actually, that's in effect what happens in nearly all
34 corporations/bureaucracies/governments/organizations of anything larger
35 than the 20-30 people that can effectively know each other. There's a set
36 of written policies that it's impossible to keep to and keep up
37 efficiency/production/whatever, and a set of unwritten policies that you
38 break and you are fired/expelled/excommunicated/guantanamo-ized/whatever.
39 The thing is, because everyone /has/ to break the written policies or get
40 left behind, what happens is that they become the formal reason for
41 termination or whatever, even tho everyone breaks them, and the real
42 reason was that the unwritten policy/rule/law/whatever was broken.
43 Too-bad, so-sad, if you simply didn't understand that unwritten one. You
44 were expected to just know it, even tho it wasn't written down anywhere or
45 specifically stated at any time. As they say, not knowning isn't an
46 excuse.
51 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
54 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list