From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Problem emergin cdk
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:00:39
1 On Tuesday 28 February 2006 14:46, Duncan wrote:
2 > Kirby Walborn posted <44043BB1.7020703@×××××××××××××.com>, excerpted
3 >
4 > libtool is, I /believe/, the "library tool" (real smart there, eh? <g>)
5 > that creates all those *.la (not sure what that stands for but linker
6 > advice fits) text files, that in turn give gcc some help figuring out
7 > libraries. I've never happened to come across the details and haven't
8 > gotten around to looking them up either, but I HAVE seen a Gentoo dev
9 > remark that libtool was a solution to one problem that ended up
10 > creating another -- PARTICULARLY for a frequently updated from-source
11 > distro like Gentoo.
12
13 It actually does not let gcc figure out anything, but people use libtool
14 to use gcc. Libtool then "fixes up" the call to gcc. In many cases
15 deleting the .la files just works.
16
17 > Complicating matters is that *.o files are binary object files --
18 > pieces of binary executables and libraries that gcc creates from C and
19 > C++ source files, as a mid-stage, before combining them into the
20 > various libraries and executables they form.
21 >
22 > So... *.o object files should exist in the portage working dirs, for a
23 > short time until the package is fully created and merged, after which
24 > portage usually cleans them up; they should **NOT** exist in the
25 > library dirs. Correspondingly, *.so files will be the most common file
26 > in the library dirs, and would be what gcc was wanting.
27
28 These particular files are the default pieces of code that gcc in
29 executable linking mode automatically adds to your executables (not your
30 shared libraries). They take care that your "C" system behaves as you
31 expect it to. They do things such as setting up the system in such a way
32 that main gets called correctly, libraries are initialised, etc. As this
33 code is common for all C files, gcc just links in these files instead of
34 generating them all the time.
35
36 Paul
39 Paul de Vrieze