From: "Juan Fco. Giordana" <juangiordana@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Symlinks vs. Bind mounts.
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 03:28:25
1 Hello list,
2
3 I've been reading a lot about filesystems and tunning Gentoo to make it
4 perform faster and more efficiently.
5
6 I've been using a combination of what D. Robbnins explains in his
7 articles. Basically a separate "reiserfs" partition mounted in
8 "/mnt/rwstrg" that contains "portage, src, var and tmp" as explained here:
9
10 http://www.funtoo.org/en/articles/linux/partitioning/2/
11
12 Instead of creating symlinks to /var and /tmp I've opted for doing "bind
13 mounts" to these directories because I think it's more manageable this
14 way. Also I'm taking into consideration the same approach for portage
15 (instead of modifying the variables in /etc/make.conf).
16
17 The only thing that makes me follow the same path for /usr/src is also
18 manageability.
19
20 I've been googling a lot about this with no success trying to find out
21 what would be better (faster), if using symbolic links or bind mounts. I
22 also mailed Mr. Robbins but haven't received an answer and honestly I
23 don't I will.
24
25 I'm not a guru on the field, I've read somewhere that using symbolic
26 links has its drawbacks because the applications have to map to the
27 proper file/dir location on every access (and I never liked them).
28
29 Hope someone could guide me with this.
30
31 Thanks.