From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: compiling on dual-cores - only 50% usage per cpu
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 01:37:06
1 Bernhard Auzinger <e0026053@×××××××××××××××××.at> posted
2 200711111148.44058.e0026053@×××××××××××××××××.at, excerpted below, on
3 Sun, 11 Nov 2007 11:48:43 +0100:
4
5 > That sounds like you are having a infernal machine. 8 cores, that's not
6 > bad. What are the requirements for the power supply when running 4
7 > Opteron 290s?
8
9 Only 4 cores. =8^( The "2xx" indicates a max 2-way machine. Previously,
10 it was 2 x 242s, single 1.6 GHz cores. Now it's 290s, dual 2.8 GHz
11 cores, so 2 cores x 2 sockets, 4 cores total over 2 slots. (Each core
12 shows up as a CPU on the monitors, thus the 4 CPU monitors running above,
13 actually 4 cores over two CPUs.)
14
15 I'd have liked to go with the 8xx series, but they run way more money per
16 socket and the boards are of course higher as well. Way out of my budget
17 range, even for "incremental" upgrade. Well, out of my range for a
18 couple years anyway... it'll be mid-range in a couple years.
23 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
26 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list