From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] locales questions
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 18:32:11
1 Hi,
2 I don't understand locales, or not really. I get that they say
3 something about where the machine is running and what character
4 set/sets the machine should use, but that's as far as I go with it.
5 It's never been much of a problem.
6
7 I unmasked the k3b_beta1.0 package and built it this morning to
8 look at a new feature. When I start the program I'm getting a message:
9
10 System locale charset is ANSI_X3.4-1968
11 Your system's locale charset (i.e. the charset used to encode
12 filenames) is set to ANSI_X3.4-1968. It is highly unlikely that this
13 has been done intentionally. Most likely the locale is not set at all.
14 An invalid setting will result in problems when creating data
15 projects.
16 Solution: To properly set the locale charset make sure the LC_*
17 environment variables are set. Normally the distribution setup tools
18 take care of this.
19
20 I'm going back looking at the Gentoo Quick Install Guide. It talks
21 about locales.build and locales.gen for recent version of glibc.
22 Section 2.37 at
23
24 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-quickinstall.xml
25
26 However my AMD64 machine seems like it's either not set up or set up
27 for an old version of glibc:
28
29 lightning ~ # slocate locales.build
30 /etc/locales.build
31 /mnt/gentoo32/etc/locales.build
32 /usr/portage/sys-libs/glibc/files/locales.build
33 lightning ~ # slocate locales.gen
34 lightning ~ #
35
36 Do I need to change things like the setup guide would have me do?
37
38 I have no 'LC_' setting in make.conf nor do I see anything obvious
39 in /etc/conf.d.
40
41 I'm very confused about this stuff anyway. Thanks in advance for being kind.
42
43 cheers,
44 Mark
45 --