From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Nvidia or Xorg Problem with GLX [Solved]
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 15:54:47
1 On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 02:29:41 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
5 > With xorg.conf.d directories now being the preferred configuration
6 > method, eselect-opengl now uses that, changing the 20-opengl.conf or
7 > whatever file it drops into the xorg.conf.d dir, instead of changing
8 > symlinks.
11 I would hesitate to use the term "preferred configuration."
12
13 Although I am venturing into philosophical areas with this comment,
14 Xorg has taken the stance of being very versatile in its configuration
15 scheme, and that is how it should be.
16
17 According to the xorg.conf man page:
18
19 "Xorg supports several mechanisms for supplying/obtaining configuration
20 and run-time parameters: command line options, environment variables,
21 the xorg.conf and xorg.conf.d configuration files, auto-detection, and
22 fallback defaults ..."
23
24 IMO it is an excellent design to allow the user so much choice in handling
25 how his X server is configured. To suddenly single out a "preferred" method
26 from this versatile approach is a definite injustice.
27
28 But I certainly appreciate the background information on eselect. I haven't
29 paid much attention to it because my system has been performing quite well
30 over the years (in spite of my deliberate flaunting of convention in many
31 areas). Ordinarily I would prefer to avoid such contrivances and rely on
32 manual tweaking, but sometimes I just cannot do it all.
33
34 Frank Peters