From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 01:03:04
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> First post here. I'm usually on gentoo user. I'm in the process of
7 >> building a new system which will be 64 bit. I am looking for advice. I
8 >> would like people to post things that I might run into that one wouldn't
9 >> expect and some things that are different from x86. I was looking at
10 >> something on my old rig and noticed the USE flag smp. I didn't know about
11 >> that until I ran up on it. I learned something by pure dumb luck.
12 >>
13 >> I'm a long time Gentoo user. Installed it at the early stages of 1.4. I
14 >> also use KDE and have fluxbox installed as a backup. The processor is a AMD
15 >> Phenom II X4 955 @3.2Ghz. It will start out with one 4Gb stick of ram. I
16 >> plan to expand that later.
17 >>
18 >> What are some things that I should watch for and enable that isn't so
19 >> obvious for someone new to 64 bit?
20 >>
21 >> Thanks.
22 >>
23 >> Dale
24 >>
25 > Hi Dale,
26 > It's been so long since I've done anything that wasn't 64-bit so
27 > it's hard to answer. I think the 64-bit install guide is quite good.
28 > One thing that I think some folks (me included) do that differs from
29 > the guide (at least the last time I read it) is to use grub-static
30 > instead of grub. I suspect that's because it's 32-bit and more
31 > compatible.
32 >
33 > Other than that I can't think of anything I do differently.
34 >
35 > Best of luck with the new install. I'm sure it will go great.
36 >
37 > Cheers,
38 > Mark
42 Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. I made a note of it. I certainly
43 don't want that to mess up. lol
44
45 Dale
46