From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How to make watchdog start earlier during bootup?
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 07:01:26
1 "P.V.Anthony" <pvantony@×××××××××××.sg> posted
2 49721DB1.6080200@×××××××××××.sg, excerpted below, on Sun, 18 Jan 2009
3 02:04:33 +0800:
4
5 > On the motherboard the watchdog is de-activated. The watchdog timer is
6 > compiled into the kernel.
7 >
8 > During the bootup, when the server does a file system check, the server
9 > reboots without fulling booting up.
10 >
11 > The cause of the reboot is the watchdog in the kernel.
12 >
13 > Guessing that if the watchdog daemon was to start much earlier, it will
14 > prevent the kernel from rebooting. That will also allow more time to do
15 > a file system check. Currently to get the server to boot up, the setting
16 > of "0 0" is used so that it will not do a filesystem check.
17 >
18 > How to make the watchdog daemon start much earlier?
19
20 I'd check the documentation for your kernel watchdog driver. My guess is
21 that there's a kernel command-line option to disable it at boot, and
22 something (a sysfs file or the like) you can prod later, to tell it to
23 start, which you could then add to the watchdog daemon service script if
24 there's not already provision for it.
25
26 Alternatively, you could of course compile the driver as a module and not
27 have it load until later, but the kernel folks are pretty good about
28 making it such that it can be compiled in if desired -- there's command-
29 line options and etc such that preventing early-activation or otherwise
30 setting module options can be done from the command line instead, if it's
31 built-in. If that's /not/ the case here, and the documentation does not
32 specifically /say/ that bit isn't working yet (which may be the case with
33 an experimental driver or one still specifically under development), I'd
34 consider not having a way to disable it thru boot and enable it later a
35 bug, and I expect the kernel folks would as well.
36
37 FWIW, I too have the fsck service deactivated here, as you do, by setting
38 the fsck order column in fstab to 0. On reiserfs, which is what I run
39 here for pretty much everything, it's not really needed anyway, since
40 reiserfs automatically does pretty much everything it could do in a
41 normal fsck at mount in any case, and if it's beyond that, it's time for
42 --rebuild-tree. But I've not had to run that in /ages/, I think since
43 the kernel got and activated by default data=ordered for reiserfs, and
44 likely since I've been on Gentoo as well. (IDR which came first,
45 reiserfs data=ordered or my switch to Gentoo, but I sure do remember
46 looking forward to each of them! =:^) But, while that eliminates the
47 (unnecessary for reiserfs) fsck time, because reiserfs can take a bit to
48 replay the journal if the system crashed or the filesystems were
49 otherwise not unmounted properly, you may end up with the same problem
50 under those conditions.
51
52 But, if you have no strong feelings against reiserfs (some do, but as I
53 said I've been very happy with it since data=ordered became the default,
54 YMMV), that might be another thing you could try. At least you wouldn't
55 have to feel so bad about missing the fscks then, and if you happen to be
56 already running it, hey! =:^)
61 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman