From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Turion64 X2 k8temp temperatures.
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 19:40:43
1 This is a laptop with a tiny fan and 53º C while processor is idle is
2 understandable since cooler is on passive mode
3 most of time. But 73º C looks way too much for me.
4 this for me seems the thermal zone, and not the core temperature...
5 anyway, install a monitoring daemon (kima for kde is very light/good and
6 integrates into the kicker) or any other like ksensors or others (i don't
7 know the gnome ones since i completely dislike gnome but there are a lot of
8 superkaramba widgets to do this) and see there your effective temp.
9 there you should see:
10 the core temp. mine turion 64 single core go from 30-35° idle to 60-65° C
11 when at max speed and max load.
12 the thermal goes from 58° when the fan starts to 75° when the processor goes
13 in passive mode decreasing speed for avoiding overheating problems. at 105
14 it shuts down.
15 now, i've heard that dualcores can have a temp of 5 to 10° higher than the
16 single cores, but i don't know if this is really true.
17 anyway, how do you know that that 2 devices are effectively the processor?!
18 your problem is that acpi doesn't get the processor states. if it doesn't
19 provide you with trip points in /proc/acpi/thermal/thrmx/trip_points then
20 you have an acpi problem. this may be caused by bios or by wrong kernel
21 config.
22 make sure that your thermal is compiled and started and that your bios is ok
23 reading and doing this:
24 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Fix_Common_ACPI_Problems
25 the steps needed are the ones till you recompile the dsdt and see if the
26 compiler raises errors. if it does then you might have a bios problem. try
27 to fix it according the infos there and recompile.
28 if the bios is ok or the fixed one doesn't make the processor work with the
29 latest kernel then search on the kernel.org the acpi bugzilla or the mailing
30 list and report there your problem. they could help you fix it or they could
31 patch the actual acpi to make this work.
32 if you have an acer notebook, this might be the problem, since i've
33 encountered many acer laptops that don't read the thermal correctly.
34