From: Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Disk boot order in grub
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 22:19:37
1 ----- Original Message -----
2 From: "Duncan" <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
3 To: <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
4 Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2007 9:07 AM
5 Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Disk boot order in grub
8 <snip>
9 and Duncan opined:
10 > Any insights into why nobody seems to be doing the LiveCD/DVD GRUB boot >
11 > now, and why everyone's using ISOLinux instead? Is it just that ISOLinux
12 > is the tried and true method that everyone was using before GRUB became
13 > an option, and new guys are simply copying stuff from other LiveCDs that
14 > obviously works? Seems to me the direct-boot emulation-less way would be
15 > MUCH simpler and more flexible, so why isn't everyone (or even a suitable
16 > number of "anyones") using it?
17 >
18 > I've on my list of things to do to go ask the Gentoo releng team as
19 > well. Why aren't /they/ using grub, since it's the default once the
20 > system is installed. Seems it would be more efficient than shipping
21 > ISOLinux and then using it for nothing other than the CD/DVD boot, since
22 > grub could at least potentially be dual-purposed both to booting the CD,
23 > and to installing directly from there to the new system, as well.
26 The Gparted LiveCD has switched from isolinux to grub sometime in the last
27 few months. Perhaps a trend is starting?
28 The grub boot menu on this latest Gparted LiveCD does what I set out to do
29 when I got into writing a grub boot cd. In explanation, it will act as a
30 rescue CD with premade menu choices that will boot the first hard drive MBR,
31 first hard drive's first, second, third, or fourth partition, second hard
32 drive MBR. or the second hard drive's first partition. Thus, without
33 advertising it, the Gparted gang have produced a grub rescue cd. The only
34 lack is premade menu entry(ies) to setup grub on the hard drive(s). However
35 dropping from the gparted boot menu into the command line to type :
36 root (hd0,0)
37 setup (hd0)
38 with the knowledge that BIOS and grub are in agreement as to which drive is
39 hd0 does not seem to be a big deal.
40 Clonezilla, which claims Norton ghost type powers to clone drives and make
41 drive images (including over the network) is also now on the Gparted LiveCD.
42 Gparted LiveCD is really really on my must have list with this edition.
43
44 > --
45 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
46 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
47 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
48 >
49 > --
50 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
54 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list