From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: paludis Was: glibc-2.6.1 cpu error
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 14:35:19
1 > With mainline kernel suspend-to-disk working, and setting /sys/power/
2 > image_size to the largest possible given the size of the swap partition,
3 > I've discovered that cache is retained up to that size.
6 it doesn't work well with xpress200m chipset and tends to break the system
7 stability. or at least the last time i tried it (2.6.22). it works for me
8 the suspend to ram, but that consumes the battery and on shutdown it
9 releases everything stored into ram. my notebook does only support a 80gb
10 (i'm planning an upgrade to 160 when it runs out of waranty - on february)
11 so i don't have neither the space needed for a great swap neither a raid
12 array on it. i'm also meditating to acquire a new notebook the next year so
13 i really wonder how much would it repay a disk upgrade to the old one.
14
15 I do this all the time, but "manually". That is, I routinely have 2-4,
16 > sometimes more (I've had up to 11, more than that I couldn't keep ahead
17 > of ensuring I was free of dependencies and doing the etc-updates faster
18 > than the things were getting compiled) windows open, compiling different
19 > things at the same time. That's especially true when KDE comes out with
20 > an update, and I have 90-some packages to update just from it, all coming
21 > out the same day.
24 for what i've learned portage is not thread safe. thus, i've myself been
25 using 2 or three paludis threads at the same time after verifying that the
26 packages compile in one terminal don't relate to other ones.
27 but having something that actually does this without me needing to worry for
28 that would be better.
29
30 When I get my dual dual-cores, I expect it'll be even more so, altho
31 > practically speaking, I'm more likely to just set up two compiles at once
32 > and then go do something else (like checking the lists =8^) with the rest
33 > of my CPU time.
36 i also compile normally when i don't need the pc to do something particular
37 for me, ie. web browsing, or when i program something. i don't have a dual
38 core pc so i cannot put a lot of compile threads at the same time.
39 by the way, i've seen a thread of you speaking of a tyan with opteron and
40 i'd like to think what you think of opteron vs athlon.
41 i'm planning a desktop middle ranged home server with some db, mail, rsync,
42 mythtv, compilation server and occasionally running some games and i'd like
43 to know if it worths buying an opteron dualcore or it's better an athlonx2.
46 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
47 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
48 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
49 >
50 > --
51 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
57 dott. ing. beso