From: Wil Reichert <wil.reichert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Cc: tytso@×××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] trouble creating an ext3 filesystem > 8TB
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 09:08:41
1 On 4/10/07, Joshua Hoblitt <jhoblitt@××××××××××.edu> wrote:
2 > After looking through various patches that were posted to LKML, I
3 > discovered that passing "-F" to mke2fs seems to make this work as
4 > expected. However, this behavior seems to be undocumented and that
5 > makes me more then a little nervous.
6 >
7 > The resulting filesystem does seem to be mountable:
8 >
9 > /dev/sda4 11T 173M 11T 1% /export/ipp003.0
10 >
11 > Is this feature undocumented for a reason or is it just unsupported?
12
13 Any reason you are so set on ext3? Its fine for a general purpose fs
14 but this might be a sign you are stretching its intended limits.
15 Perhaps something 64-bit like xfs or jfs would be a better option
16 depending on your intended usage / workload.
17
18 Wil
19 --
20 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list