From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: 2nd HDD for var, tmp, usr/portage, swap
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 18:44:54
1 Bernhard Auzinger <e0026053@×××××××××××××××××.at> posted
2 200707201641.30655.e0026053@×××××××××××××××××.at, excerpted below, on
3 Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:41:30 +0200:
4
5 > as I have four hdd's in my computer, I was wondering if it does make
6 > sense to source out some partitions/directories to a second hdd.
7 >
8 > At the moment I have separate partitions for /var, /tmp and /usr/portage
9 > (I feel portage is a lot faster since I've done this) on the same hdd.
10 >
11 > My question is if it makes sence to move these partitions to another
12 > harddisk?
13
14 With four hard drives, particularly if they are near the same size (not
15 an old 8 gig on the one end, and a new half terabyte on the other, with
16 two in the middle), your best performance is likely to be in RAID. Here,
17 I have four drives in RAID, using the kernel's own md RAID drivers, with
18 RAID-1 for /boot, RAID-6 for my main system, and RAID-0 for stuff like
19 /usr/portage, /usr/src, my ccache dir, and /tmp (altho with 8 gig memory,
20 I actually have /tmp on a memory based tmpfs). Swap is also setup as
21 effectively RAID-0.
22
23 Note that RAID using both master and slave on IDE/PATA isn't all that
24 efficient, however. Here, my hard drives are all SATA, tho I'm still
25 using PATA CD/DVD drives (but only one on each channel master, not master
26 and slave). Of course, SCSI is its own discussion.
27
28 If your drives are different size but all say 80 gig or better, you could
29 still do a RAID-0 for speed and put /tmp, swap and the like on that (you
30 don't want to put anything important on RAID-0, since if one drives dies,
31 you lose everything on the RAID-0, but it's fast, so is good for temp
32 stuff like swap and /tmp, and stuff you can download off the net again
33 easily if necessary, like the gentoo/portage tree), especially if the
34 drives aren't installed as IDE/PATA both master and slave. If one or
35 more of the drives are older and below about 80 gig, chances are it's
36 slow enough it'd be bottlenecking the others anyway, so don't bother.
37
38 Alternatively, you want to make sure as much as possible, that stuff
39 accessed at the same time is on different disks. Generally, that's the
40 same stuff as the candidates for RAID-0 above, swap, /tmp (and /var/tmp),
41 ccache, and the gentoo/portage tree, particularly if you tend to do
42 emerges in the background while continuing to work on other stuff. The
43 caveat for swap is that the newer and therefore larger drives tend to be
44 faster, and it's them that generally have the main system on them already
45 (unless you have your largest drive as a dedicated media drive as some
46 people do). It's often most convenient to try swap on the old/slow
47 drive, but of course, that can be counter-productive. Still, it
48 depends. It may still be faster on it, than having the new/fast drive
49 trying to handle both system and swap at the same time, even if the swap
50 drive /is/ your old/slow one.
55 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
58 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list