From: "P.V.Anthony" <pvantony@×××××××××××.sg>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Is there any difference with 4 core?
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 04:07:17
1 On this day, 03-August-2007 11:39 AM, Nuitari wrote:
2
3 > If you are going to do a lot of virtual servers then you'd probably want
4 > to wait for the Barcelona chips.
5 >
6 > What kind of loads do you expect?
7
8 Currently running on Supermicro 1U Pentium 4 2.8mhz with hyper threading
9 for about two years. The average 15min load is only 0.31. The os is
10 Fedora Core 1.
11
12 Thinking of setting up another server and move all the services to the
13 multi-core server. Then have the Pentium 4 server as a backup.
14
15 Of course it will be gentoo and 64bit. And on kernel 2.6. Want to learn
16 and try out Xen virtualization. More and more sites are now CMS based
17 and I like WebGUI which runs on mod_perl. More clients want web based
18 applications. So going to a more powerful server might help. I am hoping.
19
20 When is Barcelona coming out? Would it be expensive because it is new
21 and a true 4 core chip?
22
23 From reading the posts, it seems that memory is very very important.
24 Wondering if it is better going with a 2 core cpu and put the savings on
25 more ram. Originally thinking of 4g. Maybe the ram should go to 8g.
26
27 Plus it is paranoia. Just afraid that something on the Pentium 4 might
28 fail. Since it is already two years old.
29
30 P.V.Anthony
31
32 PS: going with tyan because from this list, it seems that tyan has good
33 support for linux.
38 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list