From: Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] AMD64 - Firefox, flash, java, mplayer and more....
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 16:54:38
1 On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 08:39 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > My wife and I signed up for a class that is taught partially in
4 > person and to a great extent on the web. To use the material it's the
5 > usual set of requirements - Windows, IE or Firefox, Java, Flash, an
6 > audio player that plays stuff on the page, etc., or a Mac. My wife's
7 > 32-bit Gentoo machine is working fairly well, although I am having a
8 > couple of fairly serious Java problems. (Which I hope can be worked
9 > out.) My AMD64 machine, on the other hand, is failing terribly and I
10 > really need it to work, somehow...
11 >
12 > To this end I'm at the very early stages of a 32-bit install. I'd
13 > hate to have to drop back to 32-bit operation on this machine full
14 > time, although I'm not actually running anything that has to run
15 > 64-bit so maybe it's a non-issue really, other than the work involved
16 > to get there.
17 >
18 > Some questions:
19 >
20 > 1) If I build and boot a 32-bit version of Gentoo it is my
21 > understanding that the AMD64 will be completely 32-bit compatible and
22 > that I can run whatever any other IA-32 machine can run. Is this
23 > correct?
24
25 Correct.
26
27 > 2) If I build a 32-bit install is there anyway to run this 32-bit
28 > environment within the 64-bit environment? I assume not.
29
30 Sure, no problem. You would chroot to the running directory, and then
31 run programs. You want to mount /proc in the chroot first.
32
33 The issues with java, flash, and mplayerplug-in are not fun.
34 Unfortunately, java is currently 64-bit only, and flash is currently
35 32-bit only, so you can't use them in the same browser. mplayerplug-in
36 could be either, but currently is neither (at least with support for
37 mplayer-bin). Loads of fun.
38
39 Daniel