From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] no-multilib and 32-bit chroot
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 14:32:28
1 Just in case anybody ever wondered, there's nothing stopping someone from
2 doing the 32-bit chroot (as in the gentoo/amd64 documentation) on a
3 no-multilib system. In fact, it's a cleaner way to do it, since the two
4 systems will be fully separated, no 32-bit stuff on the 64-bit side, and
5 no 64-bit stuff on the 32-bit side, plus no generic 32-bit binary-only
6 emul-linux-x86 libs to worry about.
7
8 The one caveat is to make sure you have the kernel set to handle 32-bit
9 also (in menuconfig, under executable file formats, ia32 emulation), but
10 that's needed for grub-static anyway, I believe, so no big deal there.
11
12 I've been running no-multilib for quite some time and definitely prefer
13 it on the 64-bit side. But I've had a netbook (Acer Aspire One, from
14 before they went with the freedomware crippled poulsbo chipset) that only
15 does 32-bit, and I'm finally getting around to sticking Gentoo on it. So
16 I did the 32-bit chroot stuff to build the image for it as my main
17 machine is far faster, tho I wasn't sure if it was going to require at
18 least a 32-bit glibc and ld/linker (and thus multilib) on the main system
19 or not. I thought it /should/ be fine, tho, and was correct. All it
20 needs is the standard 32-bit chroot stuff. Just setup the initial dir,
21 unpack the 32-bit stage-3, and setup the mounts as outlined in the chroot
22 guide, and the linux32 chroot /file/system /bin/bash command works as it
23 should.
24
25 Since I'm doing it as a full system setup to be transferred to my netbook
26 later, not just the usual chroot stuff, I had a bit more to do than the
27 guide mentioned, and the x86 handbook installation section wasn't quite
28 right for me either, tho I followed it relatively closely except that I
29 haven't configured fstab or grub yet, and of course didn't partition the
30 disk since that was already setup on my main machine. I'll have to do
31 that later, when load the image on a thumbdrive, boot the thumbdrive on
32 the netbook, and then use it to setup partitioning, etc, on the netbook's
33 drive (I got the 120 gig conventional magnetic platter SATA, not the SSD).
34
35 FWIW, I just got thru with an emerge --emptytree @system and am now doing
36 an emerge --emptytree @selected for the few world packages I have, after
37 updating @system to gcc 4.4.2 (~x86) just previous to emerging
38 --emptytree @system. I still have to add most of world, including xorg,
39 kde, icecat, etc. I'm figuring I'll have a Christmas present for myself,
40 tho. =:^) That's including both finishing the build, and the final setup
41 on the netbook too, I hope.
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman