From: Stan Sander <stsander@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 16:09:02
1 Wednesday 08 December 2010
5 > Glad you posted this. I looked at the USE flags for grub not a package
6 > called grub-static. That seems to be two different beasts. I never
7 > knew that package existed. Would emerging the plain grub with the
8 > static USE flag give the same results? I would think not else they
9 > would just have one package but am curious just the same.
10 >
11 > Thanks.
12 >
13 > Dale
14
15 No, the static use flag in grub does not do the same thing. If you run a no-multilib profile (in other words pure 64-bit) you need to run grub-static if you are going to use grub as a boot loader. As Frank said, lilo is still maintained and is a viable choice. So that's what it comes down to, your choices -- lilo or grub, multilib or no-multilib. Personally I've run no-multilib for some time now and have not ever wished otherwise since I made the switch. If you run a multilib profile, you can use the regular grub package (or lilo) with whatever USE flags suit your needs. You can also use grub-static in a multilib profile. If you select the no-multilib profile grub will be hard masked.
18 Stan & HD Tashi Grad 10/08 Edgewood, NM SWR
19 PR - Cindy and Jenny - Sammamish, WA NWR
20 http://www.sblan.net/tashi