From: "Jesús Guerrero" <6thpink@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] How to rescue to lost ext3 partition ??
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 22:12:21
1 El Martes, 15 de Agosto de 2006 23:37, jai kumar escribió:
2 > hi all ,
3 > I tried to resize my gentoo (ext3) partion with the help of "partition
4 > magic". everything goes correct but in the completion it gave some error.
5 > didn't know exactly what was that. Then i reboot the system and find out
6 > that grub was lost and giving error 17.
7 > ===========================================
8 > error 17
9 > This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but the
10 > filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB.
11 > ===========================================
12 >
13 > Now after some efforts I somehow manage to install grub again with the help
14 > of a Gentoo live cd. But I have no clue for how to get back my gentoo
15 > partition. Is there any way to rescue that parition?? following are some
16 > useful info.
17 > ===========================================
18 > gentoo ext partion is ..../dev/sda13
19 >
20 > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
21 >------------------ Using /dev/sda
22 > (parted) p
23 > Disk geometry for /dev/sda: 0kB - 160GB
24 > Disk label type: msdos
25 > Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
26 > 1 32kB 11GB 11GB primary fat32 boot, lba
27 > 2 11GB 160GB 149GB extended lba
28 > 5 11GB 24GB 13GB logical fat32
29 > 6 24GB 45GB 21GB logical ntfs
30 > 7 45GB 67GB 21GB logical ntfs
31 > 8 67GB 88GB 21GB logical ntfs
32 > 9 88GB 108GB 19GB logical fat32
33 > 10 108GB 140GB 32GB logical ntfs
34 > 11 140GB 141GB 1077MB logical linux-swap
35 > 12 141GB 148GB 7230MB logical ext3 boot
36 > 13 148GB 156GB 7830MB logical
37 > (parted)
38 > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
39 >------------------ root@flukebox:/home/flukebox# dmesg|tail |grep sda13
40 > [17182864.744000] VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sda13.
41 > root@flukebox:/home/flukebox#
42 > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
43 >-----------------
46 > please let me know if there is anyway to rescue ??
47 > Thanks in advance.
48 > ~jaiks
53 > ---------------------------------
54 > Here's a new way to find what you're looking for - Yahoo! Answers
55 > Send FREE SMS to your friend's mobile from Yahoo! Messenger Version 8. Get
56 > it NOW
57
58 Hi, try http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download
59
60 Download the linux statically compiled binaries and save them in any place
61 where you can access them in case of an emergency like this. Since they are
62 statically linked they will work almost under every cicumstance.
63
64 Its a pretty intuitive text interface. They worked for me in a lot of
65 ocassions. Never caused trouble. Of course, that is just my experience, not a
66 guarantee.
67
68 Luck :)
69