From: John Myers <electronerd@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Can I run a 32-bit kernel on my 64-bit kernel Gentoo machine?
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 04:36:02
1 On Sunday 25 September 2005 20:47, John C. Shimek wrote:
2 > You do a straight 32bit install on your amd64.
3 That's beside the point. His question was whether he could just use a 32-bit
4 kernel with a 64-bit userland (i.e. not having to recompile everything), the
5 answer to which is no.
6
7 > I don't know whether to call your precessor an athlon or maybe
8 > a generic x86 processor.
9 Depending on his version of GCC, he would use -march=athlon64 or
10 -march=athlon-xp, i believe
11
12 > It is the same as running Windows 2000/XP on this processor. The OS thinks
13 > it has a 32bit CPU. Only you are limited to 32bit limitation on hardware,
14 And you miss out on a bunch of extra general-purpose registers, which is
15 actually what makes x86_64 faster than x86, not the 64-bitness, which would
16 otherwise make it slower due to larger code size
17
18 > mainly memory
19 AFAIK, only if you have >= 4GB
20
21 > and possibly harddrive, I don't know.
22 No.
23
24 > I am sure others can point in the correct direction for
25 > rebuild your system if needed, let more experieced wiser minds help
26 > where they can.
27 Except that's what he's trying to avoid...