From: Matt Randolph <mattr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Dual core vs dual chip
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:27:06
1 Chris S wrote:
2
3 > Greetings,
4 >
5 > I am curious. Would people recommend a single Athlon X2 compared to
6 > Dual Opteron at same specs?
7 >
8 > ie:
9 >
10 > 2 x 248 Opterons (2.2GHz, 1Mb, HT1600) in Tyan Thunder K8SRE (nForce 4
11 > Pro 2200) or
12 > 1 x 4400+ Athlon X2 (Dualcore 2.2Ghz, 1Mb, HT2000) in Tyan Tomcat K8E
13 > (nForce 4)
14 > 1 x 175 Opteron (Dualcore 2.2GHz, 1Mb, HT1600) in a single socket 940
15 > pin mainboard
16 >
17 > How would they fair as a server?
18 >
19 > Cheers,
20 > Chris
23 This sounds like a question to post at alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 or
24 similar since it hasn't anything to do with Gentoo.
25
26 That being said, I have a feeling the dual processor machine would blow
27 the dual core machines away for heavily multithreaded apps, though the
28 Athlon 64 X2 might inch past the others when there was only a single
29 thread, but that's only a guess. It sounds like something to ask Tom's
30 Hardware to look into, if they haven't already. The dual Opteron would
31 undoubtedly be the better server. For one thing, a dual Opteron board
32 may well support several times as much RAM as the other boards would.
33 The solitary dual core Opteron would be the next best server, followed
34 by the Athlon X2. They should all make better servers than a single
35 core/processor x86 machine would. Generally speaking, these chips are
36 priced the way they are for a reason.
39 "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate" - W. of O.
42 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list