From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: clockspeed: no effect on amd64?
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 11:06:23
1 Yassen Damyanov posted <4399524F.5050101@×××××××.de>, excerpted below, on
2 Fri, 09 Dec 2005 11:45:51 +0200:
3
4 > I'm looking for anyone using clockspeed successfully on
5 > amd64.
6 >
7 > I have a success story 2 years ago using it on a Redhat 6
8 > system to correct a terribly drifting clock. It did a
9 > *perfect* job for me.
10 >
11 > Now I am trying to use it to correct a clock that speeds up
12 > about 1 sec. per hour, this on a Gentoo Linux / amd64 box,
13 > and it does not work for me.
14
15 [Subject typo corrected. I wouldn't bother except it's likely many never
16 even saw this due to spam filters. Maybe you'll get a better response
17 with it corrected? Worth a try, anyway.]
18
19 I have no experience with clockspeed. Perhaps someone else will reply
20 that does, but meanwhile, something I've a bit more experience with since
21 I run it myself, I'd guess the more usual solution to that sort of issue
22 is to run ntpd and keep yourself synced with multiple NTP servers
23 elsewhere on the net. Once it has been running a while and established a
24 decent record of how much your local clock drifts, it won't have to
25 connect often to the network, as it'll know how much to adjust without the
26 external input.
27
28 If you don't want to use those resources, then setting a cron job to
29 run ntpclient restart every hour or two would work, tho the adjustment
30 would be more drastic and could cause issues with anything relying on the
31 system clock not to go backward, even by a second or two.
36 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
37 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
41 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list