From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: gcc 4.1.1 access violation
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 19:19:09
1 "Hemmann, Volker Armin" <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> posted
2 200610281108.21396.volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de, excerpted below,
3 on Sat, 28 Oct 2006 11:08:21 +0200:
4
5 > On Saturday 28 October 2006 07:02, Duncan wrote:
6 >
7 >> You /could/ try turning sandbox off (in FEATURES). That's a bit
8 >> dangerous by itself, but if you turn userpriv on at the same time, it
9 >> should be fairly safe.
10 >
11 > NO!
12 >
13 > Just no!
14 >
15 > Never ever turn of sandbox. Without sandbox, files can end everywhere in
16 > your installation, destroying stuff, make apps segfault randomly - and the
17 > worst, portage does not know about them.
18 >
19 > Never ever turn of sandbox. And never tell others to do so. btw
20
21 Wow, and I thought /I/ was a bit strict on that! FWIW, you are right, to
22 a point. Sandbox is there as a protection measure and turning it off can
23 be dangerous, as I said. However, it's /not/ the end of the world!
24 Ebuilds can and routinely do turn it off or tell it to ignore specific
25 parts of the filesystem when it gets in the way of what the build needs to
26 do. Sandbox is just there to keep the unexpected from happening.
27
28 Anyway, userpriv works quite well too, as it should, because it uses the
29 same user and group file protection Unix systems have historically used.
30 If the ebuild in userpriv mode can delete system files or otherwise screw
31 up the system, something's wrong and the system is in pretty bad shape
32 security-wise already, because regular users SHOULDN'T be able to mess
33 with the system, or with other user's files, unless the other user set it
34 up specifically to allow that.
35
36 The real danger therefore is turning BOTH userpriv and sandbox off, which
37 is why I said I couldn't recommend it, and stressed making sure things
38 were backed up if one tried. Even then, it's something devs routinely say
39 to do, hopefully after they've taken a look at the sandbox violation log
40 and verified it's not going to do anything stupid.
41
42 I also said it shouldn't be a sandbox problem (everybody has it enabled
43 unless they've turned it off deliberately, as it's on by default, and the
44 fact that others have gcc installed and it's not a widely known issue
45 means it's not a normal sandbox problem), but that IS the obvious direct
46 issue in this case, or there'd not be that violation log. I ALSO said
47 it's risky to turn off, particularly as the file it's trying to access
48 doesn't belong to the package in question (gcc) but rather to a different
49 vital system package, glibc. However, as long as userpriv is on, it's not
50 an undue risk, and if damage occurs, there are bigger problems to worry
51 about.
52
53 So anyway, calm down. userpriv is exactly the same level of system
54 protection normally in place, so as long as it's on, there shouldn't be
55 any real risk. Only when BOTH userpriv and sandbox are off, is there a
56 serious risk, and I specifically said I did NOT recommend that, at least
57 until a dev takes a look at it and says go ahead.
62 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
65 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list