From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 00:02:51
Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> skribis:
> Anyway, I don't much know what the Gentoo devs do to patch > gentoo-sources. I've gone back and forth between the two at different > times. One reason to stick with gentoo-sources is that vanilla-sources > (and presumably source directly from isn't supported by > Gentoo Security. Not sure how important that is to an individual > though.
I have found gentoo-sources utterly unreliable and finally settled on using only vanilla sources, using the ebuild for convenience. The Gentoo Security warning means essentially nothing to me; it’s not as if the kernel project is out there purposely creating backdoors that we can depend on Gentoo to nail shut. (I’ve recently migrated my system from ~amd64 to amd64 -- yes, it can be done -- but am still running 3.2.7 rather than the stable 3.2.2. Nevertheless I had to mask the latest ‘stable’ nvidia-drivers; it made gkrellm crash. In the process of fixing that problem, I noticed that OpenCL is around as a more generic alternative to CUDA, so maybe use of that will pick up.)

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>