From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 00:02:51
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> skribis:
2 > Anyway, I don't much know what the Gentoo devs do to patch
3 > gentoo-sources. I've gone back and forth between the two at different
4 > times. One reason to stick with gentoo-sources is that vanilla-sources
5 > (and presumably source directly from kernel.org) isn't supported by
6 > Gentoo Security. Not sure how important that is to an individual
7 > though.
8
9 I have found gentoo-sources utterly unreliable and finally settled on
10 using only vanilla sources, using the ebuild for convenience. The
11 Gentoo Security warning means essentially nothing to me; it’s not as
12 if the kernel project is out there purposely creating backdoors that
13 we can depend on Gentoo to nail shut.
14
15 (I’ve recently migrated my system from ~amd64 to amd64 -- yes, it can
16 be done -- but am still running 3.2.7 rather than the stable
17 3.2.2. Nevertheless I had to mask the latest ‘stable’ nvidia-drivers;
18 it made gkrellm crash. In the process of fixing that problem, I
19 noticed that OpenCL is around as a more generic alternative to CUDA,
20 so maybe use of that will pick up.)