From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers,
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 20:30:48
1 On Freitag 28 August 2009, Jesús Guerrero wrote:
2 > On Fri, August 28, 2009 03:18, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Freitag 28 August 2009, Jesús Guerrero wrote:
4 > >> On Fri, August 28, 2009 02:01, Frank Peters wrote:
5 > >>> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 00:34:24 +0200
6 > >>>
7 > >>>> oh really? can mc present an audiocd as ogg/mp3/flac/wav files?
8 > >>>>
9 > >>>> I don't think so.
10 > >>>
11 > >>> I am not sure what is meant by "present an audio cd," but mc can be
12 > >>> programmed by the user to accomplish a lot of tasks based on the file
13 > >>> type. Therefore, although I have not researched this specific
14 > >>> possibility, I would be inclined to believe that it can be done with
15 > >>> mc.
16 > >>
17 > >> He is talking about a kio-slave that does kind of like the cdfs kernel
18 > >> module, though in a more limited way.
19 > >>
20 > >> In kde, when you enter a cdaudio in your drive and open it, this
21 > >> kio-slave presents you the cdaudio disk in an fs-like fashion, with a
22 > >> number of folders. One folder containing ogg files, other mp3 files,
23 > >> other wav files, and so on, depending on your USE flags and such things
24 > >>
25 > >>
26 > >> This allows you to rip the thing by just dragging files into another
27 > >> folder, though to tell the truth, it never worked reliably for me in
28 > >> kde3, I have no idea if it has improved.
29 > >>
30 > >> mc already do this for a number of formats, like iso, via vfs's, I have
31 > >> no idea how complex would it be to develop this for cdaudio, but, as
32 > >> said we have cdfs anyway, and mc is not meant to be an audio encoder at
33 > >> all. I'd vote against this, unless it can be implemented purely as an
34 > >> vfs module or as an external addon without touching a single line of the
35 > >> mc core.
36 > >
37 > > and cdfs also does the id3 tags?
38 >
39 > You really don't understand the nature of command line tools. Usually,
40 > no tool will do everything. They concentrate on a task, and do it well.
41 > I don't think cdfs does that, it does't need to. It's an fs driver...
42 >
43 > You can copy the file to wherever you want, and encode it and tag it
44 > however you want. Including that into cdfs would be a nonsense, it would
45 > replicate the functionality that's already there.
46
47 so why are you even bringing cdfs up?