From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: OT - graphic card for dual-monitor high-resolution graphic station
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 15:04:29
1 On Wednesday 31 May 2006 13:26, Duncan wrote:
2 > Piotr Pruszczak <p.pruszczak@××××××××.pl> posted
3 > 447CBC6A.1080809@××××××××.pl, excerpted below, on Tue, 30 May 2006
4 >
5 > 23:43:06 +0200:
6 > > Hi,
7 > >
8 > > I have real problem which graphic card to choose
9 > > for 64-bit Linux
10 > >
11 > > It should perfectly work with dual-monitor configuration, my customer
12 > > wants to try me to configure machine for uStation-J (Bentley GIS
13 > > software)
14 > >
15 > > Price is NOT so important. Problem is this should WORK good @
16 > > high-resolutions, full colours && optimum performance on 64-bit system.
17 >
18 > I've had very good luck with the Radeon 92xx series, running dual monitors
19 > in merged framebuffer mode, up to 2048x1736 each, using the native xorg
20 > freedomware drivers. That's the top of the line with full freedomware
21 > support.
22
23 *lotsofDuncanblabladeleted*
24
25 he said 'optimum performance' not 'free drivers'.
26
27 And the 92XX series is very low performance, so it is out of the game from the
28 start.
31 He should look at the double dvi cards from Nvidia. Maybe the quadro series I
32 t seems, that the system will be used for professional software - quadro
33 series might be the best choice. It is the best choice, if you want support
34 from nvidia - they listen much more carefully to quadro users than the gaming
35 crowed.
36 --
37 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list