From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Symlinks vs. Bind mounts.
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 08:07:52
1 Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de> posted 20080813225448.GM7990@aldous,
2 excerpted below, on Thu, 14 Aug 2008 00:54:48 +0200:
3
4 > I have two 500G disks, mirrored in a software-RAID0 on all partitions
5 > but swap which is on two separate 16G partitions.
6
7 OK, if it's RAID-0, it's striped, not mirrored, and you have NO
8 redundancy at all. If either of those disks fails, your SOL.
9
10 If it's mirrored, you meant RAID-1.
11
12 I might have let it pass, but if you think you're mirrored (RAID-1) and
13 are striped (RAID-0) instead, you could be in for one NASTY surprise if
14 one of the disks dies. So I thought it wise to post and warn you, just
15 in case it WASN'T just a typo and you screwed up, BEFORE something
16 happens and you lose the data.
17
18 But you're correct about swap, at least if you have them set at the same
19 priority. The kernel will automatically stripe across all swap
20 partitions set at the same priority, so if you have multiple disks, put a
21 swap partition on each and set the priority equal (in fstab if you
22 automate swap loading from there), and the kernel will automatically
23 stripe them, increasing your swap performance accordingly. =8^)
28 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman