From: "B. Nice" <anonymous.pseudonym.88@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64]
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 13:04:16
1 On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 21:25 -0500, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 04:02:00PM -1000, Joshua Hoblitt wrote:
3 > > <dustin@×××××××.us>
4 > > Cc:
5 > > Bcc:
6 > > Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] unsubscribe
7 > > Reply-To:
8 > > In-Reply-To: <468CBF77.1010301@××××××××××××.de>
9 > >
10 > > Ahem... I think you missed your queue.
11 >
12 > Sorry -- I hadn't had my coffee yet.
13 >
14 > I also feel a little guilty that my only contribution as an AT is to
15 > make fun of people trying to unsubscribe from the list. It's not
16 > exactly productive, and only serves to reinforce the bad rep that Gentoo
17 > has.
18 >
19 > Dustin
20 Way off topic, but since there is none for this I don't feel too bad.
21
22 Where do people get the idea that Gentoo has a bad reputation? I've
23 come across just as many fanatics using other distros (Debian and
24 Slackware come to mind) as I have using Gentoo. Granted the fanatics
25 can be irritating, but I've noticed that if you respect their opinion,
26 even if you don't agree, they have useful information to share.
27 Gentoo has better documentation, IMNSHO, then most other non-commercial
28 distros do. The only better documentation I've come across was with
29 SuSE 8.2, a commercial distro, with paid tech writers and editors (I
30 can't really comment on what the documentation is like in post-Novell
31 iterations). To be honest, the quality wasn't that much better then
32 Gentoo.
33 Being as uninterested with the developer politics as I am, I know that
34 there has been a turn over in developers for what sounds like
35 inter-personal reasons. But that is normal on any large project where
36 people who care about what they are doing are working. It's human
37 nature to get emotionally involved in your view and it causes excessive
38 bad feelings if/when your idea is overruled.
39 It could be the ricers giving Gentoo a bad name, but you have ricers
40 trying to uber-optimize pretty much anything. Maybe they are just more
41 vocal about it with a source-based distro then a binary distro.
42 It is very unlikely that it's caused by the people manning the IRC
43 channels or who partake in the forums. With a very few rare exceptions
44 that are easily ignored, the people are uniformly helpful, knowledgeable
45 and willing to assist even the most bone-headed of people (I fall into
46 the bone-headed variety myself.. ;-) )
47
48 Just wanted to get that thought out there for the rest of the list.
49 It's true Gentoo is not the be all and end all of distros. But is
50 definitely doesn't deserve any special note for doing things badly.
51
52 ^^ShadowHawk^^
55 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list