From: Jim <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 64-bit or 32-bit?
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 23:09:56
1 * on the Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 03:20:26PM -0600,
2 * Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org said:
3 >
4 > Maybe User-Mode Linux would work for you?
5 >
6 > I use a 32-bit chroot with essentially a complete system in
7 > there. Once it's set up it's easier than maintaining two systems,
8 > because the chroot doesn't have to be configured for boot and
9 > shutdown, and because in fact most of the programs aren't used. But
10 > space efficiency is so 1970s. A whole bloated system is there if I
11 > want to use it for anything, such as a non-portage program that barfs
12 > in 64-bit and which I don't feel like fixing.
13
14 UML sounds like it might be worth a shot. As far as the chroot goes, I
15 never used gentoo that way.
16
17 What do you do for a browser? Do you have to chroot every time you want
18 to run your browser? Or do you run a 64-bit browser? The only real
19 thing that I am missing is the ability to see a video in Firefox such as
20 the movie trailers at Apple, etc.
21
22 Jim
23 --