From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Using encrypted swap via cryptsetup-luks on amd64
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 07:34:37
1 Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net> posted
2 453AE4DE.4090708@××××××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Sat, 21 Oct 2006
3 23:26:22 -0400:
4
5 > Not sure what the fancy scripts that are being discussed do, but this is
6 > plenty good for me, and I'm sure Duncan could get this running in about
7 > 15 seconds...
8
9 Well, there's could, and there's groking what it's actually doing, in case
10 there's a problem and to ensure it's actually encrypting it. (I
11 /seriously/ hope that mention of uuencode doesn't mean they're using /it/
12 to "encrypt", for instance. A quick look say they aren't, but that
13 doesn't tell me what's actually going on yet, either.) If I'm going to be
14 running encrypted swap, I'm going to need to know all about what I'm using
15 to encrypt it (losetup here, it seems), and how that plays with my
16 four-way striped swap (a four gig partition on each of my four SATA
17 drives, all set pri=1 so the kernel stripes it for performance), among
18 other things. If I can't rest assured it's working well, why bother?
19
20 Actually, what I could do now that I have 8 gig of RAM is turn off
21 swap again, wipe the partitions, and simply leave swap off. Only if they
22 ever get suspend to disk working semi-reliably... and I do have /tmp
23 (which is my $PORTAGE_TMPDIR as well) mounted as a tmpfs, and could
24 theoretically go into swap with multiple parallel merges tho I have it set
25 to 5 gig max, which would still give me 3 gig of memory to work at a maxed
26 /tmp, even with 0 swap.
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
34 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list