From: Mark <whitetr6@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] problem after emerge --update world
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 15:35:43
1 I'm having a problem after I did emerge --update world last night.
2 After it finished, it said 75 files in /etc needed updating. OK, I've
3 seen this before and have made mistakes with it. So this time, I
4 copied all of /etc to /home/mark/etc.old, and then ran etc-update. I
5 then let it auto merge everything and rebooted.
6
7 At this point, KDE would not start. Instead, I got a generic-looking
8 X11 screen, and had no mouse. So I did Ctrl+Alt+F1 and got back to a
9 cmd line. Then I copied everything back from /etc.old back to its
10 original place in /etc and rebooted again.
11
12 Now, KDE starts, and I have a normal login screen. However, when I log
13 in, KDE hangs on "Initializing Peripherals". Eventually, the KDE
14 startup screen goes away, and I'm left with a blank screen except for
15 my background, but no desktop icons.
16
17 Any idea how to fix this? Thanks
18 --
19 Mark
20 [unwieldy legal disclaimer would go here - feel free to type your own]
23 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list