From: "P.V.Anthony" <pvantony@×××××××××××.sg>
To: Steve Herber <herber@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Is there any difference with 4 core?
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 02:32:23
1 Thank you very much for sharing.
2
3 P.V.Anthony
4
5 On this day, 03-August-2007 1:41 AM, Steve Herber wrote:
6 > The point of Unix has always been to manage resources. In the old days,
7 > where you only had a single CPU, the kernel had to time share among all
8 > the different processes. The ps command shows you all the different
9 > processes. Your system will have many processes.
10 >
11 > Once you go to a multiple-cpu system you actually get to take advantage
12 > of the original Unix choice of fork/exec to create new processes. Each
13 > process can run on a different cpu core. Now instead of timesharing a
14 > single core across every process, you can have 2 or 4 processes running
15 > on their own core.
16 >
17 > In you sample below, I could see apache running on one core, mysql on
18 > another, postgres on another, while the applications written in perl,
19 > ruby, and php running on the 4th. Of course you will really have
20 > hundreds of processes running at a time so all 4 cores will have to
21 > timeshare. As others said, you don't get 100% from each new core.
22 > There is overhead from the kernel to figure out where to put a process
23 > for the next slice and there will be more memory contention because you
24 > have 4 CPU's talking to memory. A 4 core system will have almost twice
25 > the cpu power of a 2 core system. Most of your processes look like they
26 > will be IO bound but when a CPU bound tasks runs, it will only take over
27 > one core leaving the other three to handle the IO bound ones.
28 >
29 > Your initial issue is cost and rightly so. A 2 core system is cheaper
30 > than a 4 core system. If you build equivalent 2 core and 4 core systems
31 > then you could test them against you real workload and see if the 2 core
32 > system is better. You might discover that you should really have 2 two
33 > core systems for the load you have and for redundancy. Or you might
34 > discover that you really need to address the IO bottleneck and get
35 > multiple SCSI data paths. I would buy a 4 core system with lots of
36 > disks. Then I would run a test to benchmark my system, probably just
37 > running top to see the 15 minute load average. Then I would use the cpu
38 > control software to disable one, two, and then three cores while my
39 > normal load was running and I would again look at the 15 minute load
40 > average. I would expect to see it rise as the number of CPU's was
41 > reduced. My next computer would have the number of cores that met the
42 > sweet spot.
43 >
44 > Cheers!
45 >
46 > Steve Herber herber@×××××.com work: 206-221-7262
47 > Security Engineer, UW Medicine, IT Services home: 425-454-2399
48 >