From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] 64 or 32?
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:39:52
1 Hello,
2
3 I'm testing several distributions on my new dual-opteron. I did a gentoo-64
4 install - and managed to screw it up, but this was expected as I was testing.
5 I have confirmed that I dislike (k)ubuntu for several reasons, either 64 or
6 32 bit. SuSE 64 hasn't impressed me either. I have managed to install Simply
7 Mepis (32bit) and compile an Opteron kernel and it works well.
8
9 Now is time to re-install Gentoo, however after a lot of thinking I have come
10 to the following conclusions (which may be wrong):
11
12 - for what I'd like to do with video (ripping and converting DVDs and DV
13 processing) 64 bit software is not ready: I did not check directly if
14 transcode works, but DVDRip would not start. Cinelerra didn't install either,
15 only kino worked - and MainActor is still 32 bit, if it works at all.
16 - regarding audio, 64bit is not an issue. Ripping the CD allready took more
17 time than converting to ogg on my dual Athlon.
18 - standard desktop applications, as far as I am concerned, heavily rely on
19 OpenOffice.org and that is still 32 bit
20 - gaming also requires 32bit
21
22 So I am thinking that a 32bit Gentoo is the way to go. I may switch to 64bit
23 later, when it really (?) brings something
24
25 Does anyone have other arguments to justify the troubles of working with a
26 64bit install at the moment?
27
28 Thierry
31 The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
32 capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
33 safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
34 Frank Zappa
35 --
36 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list