From: Peter Hoff <petehoff@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] X locks up
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 19:56:13
1 I had a similar problem for a while due to a bad video card. It was an nvidia, and I was able to fix it by switching to the nv (open source) driver, but that meant I had no 3d acceleration. I don't know if there's something similar you could try with a Matrox, you may just have to replace the card.
5 ----- Original Message ----
6 From: Michael George <george@××××××××××.com>
7 To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o; gentoo-user@l.g.o
8 Sent: Friday, April 6, 2007 1:46:04 PM
9 Subject: [gentoo-amd64] X locks up
12 I have been having trouble with my system. For some reason, I've only
13 noticed it recently, but nothing has been updated on the system.
14
15 What happens is that sometimes (amazingly frequently) when I have open
16 office running on my right screen and I click "File", the displays will
17 freeze. The system is still running, because I can get in from one of
18 my terminals. I check and X is consuming 100% of one processor.
19
20 I can kill openoffice and ctwm (my window manager) reasily, but I have
21 to use -9 option to kill to get X to die. Even after that, though, the
22 video and keyboard are still locked. The only way I know of to get them
23 back is to restart the system.
24
25 IIRC, it only happens when OOo is on the right screen, but I can start
26 oowriter2, put it on the right screen, and click file and it won't
27 always lock things up.
28
29 System info:
30 openoffice-bin-2.1.0
31 xorg-x11-7.1
32 xorg-server-1.1.1-r4 (VIDEO_CARDS="mga", INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse")
33 libXinerama-1.0.1
34 ctwm-3.7
35 Video card: Matrox G450
36 System starts up to a CLI login, not XDM
37
38 Anyone have any clue as to what is going on here? Is there a way I can
39 release the hold on my keyboard and/or display so that I can just get to
40 the console so that I can reissue "startx"?
43 -M
44
45 There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
46 Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.
47 --
48 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list