From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Wifi adaptor recommendations
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 21:48:17
1 I'm moving at the end of the month. The city is buying out the property
2 and paying for movers, etc. They're actually supposed to give a 90-day
3 notice, but they want to move faster than that, so they're actually
4 paying to put me up in a nice short-stay hotel (3-star, Homewood Suites
5 by Hilton) for that three months. There's more to the package as well,
6 but that's the bit in focus ATM.
7
8 That's nice as it's three months I won't have to pay rent and
9 utilities... and it's definitely an upgrade from what I'm used to, as
10 well, all paid.
11
12 But they have wifi, and my internet here is all wired. So I need to
13 arrange something to adapt to wireless.
14
15 One option, I actually do have an old wrt54gl router, flashed to openwrt,
16 tho I've always kept the wifi off. It's the old a/b/g and limited to 54
17 Mbit/sec, but I could I suppose enable wireless, set it to client/adaptor
18 mode (I guess that's what it's called), and keep the LAN side (primarily
19 one computer, but I have my VoIP phone adaptor plugged into it too) setup
20 exactly as it is.
21
22 I don't really want to buy a router at this point, as if/when I upgrade,
23 I want to build my own amd64-based router/system (as posted in a thread
24 here a year or so ago, but I've not done it yet), and it's way to short
25 notice to consider building that thing for the hotel. Tho I suppose I
26 could buy a cheap one instead of an adapter for the computer /and/
27 possibly a new phone adaptor.
28
29 Alternatively, I could buy a proper modern wifi adaptor for the computer
30 and upgrade to a different VoIP adaptor that has wifi as well... or just
31 use the hotel phone (I don't have a cell) and stay local-only while I'm
32 there.
33
34 But, unless it's effectively an Ethernet connected router, so no drivers,
35 I'll need to pick it up and install drivers and a wifi config before I
36 actually move, so I don't get stuck needing a connection to get the
37 drivers to use /for/ the connection.
38
39 I could do either USB or PCIE card, tho I believe a PCIE connection's
40 more robust, but OTOH, a USB connected device is more flexible in some
41 ways.
42
43 So recommendations?
44
45 And reminder, a good howto on configuring the wrt54gl with openwrt for
46 client mode, or whatever it's called (I haven't yet looked, it might
47 actually be well covered on the openwrt site), would be useful and keep
48 that option open as well.
53 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman