From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE and kdeprefix
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 19:09:46
1 On 06/12/2009 09:00 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > [...]
3 > nothing with none exception. I had to set up dmix a long time ago, then it
4 > worked automagically.. but blocking apps? nope.
5
6 Without dmix everything blocks. After I've set it up, I was still
7 ending up with applications going silent while some other sound was
8 playing; not working as advertised. Resampling is higher latency and
9 more CPU intensive too, but that mattered only on my old system though.
10 Another important factor is that with ALSA I had sound skips during
11 heavy CPU activity. With OSS4 the sound is always playing smoothly, no
12 matter what. I've never had a skip. I once even got a system lock-up
13 caused by ATI's fglrx driver but OSS4 had the music still playing even
14 though the whole system had gone to nirvana.
15
16 Another factor for me (but I guess most others aren't affected) is that
17 I like the OSS API much better. I wrote a minimal wav player in 10
18 minutes. Have you ever looked at the ALSA API? Don't :P It's a piece
19 of crap. There are literally thousands of functions, all doing the same
20 thing but still not quite right... Also, OSS is standard across
21 different Unix-like systems, while ALSA is Linux-only. All this (and
22 especially the easy to code for OSS API) results in OSS support in
23 applications to work quite better (Wine, for example).
24
25 So to sum it up, OSS looks like the better system to me. I never had
26 problems with it and therefore I always recommend it.
29 > Sound daemons like arts or esd - yes, those blocked sound and were a pain in
30 > the ass.
31
32 Maybe I understood something else with "blocking". What I mean is
33 having one application going silent after another one plays something
34 else. For example, AMSN would stop playing chat sounds when I was
35 watching a YouTube video. To get non-blocking sound (if that's what you
36 mean with "blocking"), I had to do the exact opposite of what you did:
37 use arts and/or esd. At some point I had enough and tried to give OSS4
38 a try. I liked it and stayed with it. Worked out of the box without
39 needing to configure anything.