From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: arts
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 12:03:38
1 Luigi Pinna posted <200507091322.55385.mailing-gentoo@××××××××××××.com>,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 09 Jul 2005 13:22:51 +0200:
3
4 > Alle 11:40, sabato 09 luglio 2005, Alexey Maslennikov ha scritto:
5 >> I do not use arts, but have configured KDE notifications to use external
6 >> player: in my case alsaplayer.
7 >>
8 >> I don't use native kde music players, so this is sufficient.
9 >
10 > Can you explain me how I can do it? I tried but I have no idea... Thanks,
11
12 Run kcontrol and switch to Sound and Multimedia, System Notifications (or
13 run kcmshell kcmnotify, to get the specific applet directly), click the
14 Player Settings button, then the Use an external player radiobutton in
15 the resulting dialog. Enter or browse to the player you want to use, hit
16 apply, and test the results. Note that you may have to play around with
17 command line options such as volume and the like, for your selected
18 player.
19
20 Note that some applications open the sound devices in exclusive access
21 (unshared) mode. Arts itself is a good example. If this happens, your
22 sounds won't be able to play unless/until the device is free. Thus, it's
23 possible you'll get only one sound stream at a time, unless you arrange
24 for separate multiplexing. That can be done, but I'm not going to attempt
25 an explanation in this message. In any case, having one thing play at a
26 time is better than no sound at all!
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
32 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
36 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list