From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: arts
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 12:03:38
Luigi Pinna posted <200507091322.55385.mailing-gentoo@××××××××××××.com>,
excerpted below,  on Sat, 09 Jul 2005 13:22:51 +0200:

> Alle 11:40, sabato 09 luglio 2005, Alexey Maslennikov ha scritto: >> I do not use arts, but have configured KDE notifications to use external >> player: in my case alsaplayer. >> >> I don't use native kde music players, so this is sufficient. > > Can you explain me how I can do it? I tried but I have no idea... Thanks,
Run kcontrol and switch to Sound and Multimedia, System Notifications (or run kcmshell kcmnotify, to get the specific applet directly), click the Player Settings button, then the Use an external player radiobutton in the resulting dialog. Enter or browse to the player you want to use, hit apply, and test the results. Note that you may have to play around with command line options such as volume and the like, for your selected player. Note that some applications open the sound devices in exclusive access (unshared) mode. Arts itself is a good example. If this happens, your sounds won't be able to play unless/until the device is free. Thus, it's possible you'll get only one sound stream at a time, unless you arrange for separate multiplexing. That can be done, but I'm not going to attempt an explanation in this message. In any case, having one thing play at a time is better than no sound at all! -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: arts Luigi Pinna <mailing-gentoo@××××××××××××.com>