From: Michel Merinoff <mike_merinov@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] RAM problem with X
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 14:11:34
1 Luigi Pinna wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 > Since when xorg 7 became stable, it found some problems with stability
4 > of my graphic session.
5 > I wrote some times ago but nothing helped to solve this strange
6 > situation...
7 > The problem is that the X process starts to eat all available memory
8 > (first RAM and after swap) until that to kill everything (first
9 > applications and after keyboard and kernel).
10 > Until same days ago all my trials gave no solution.
11 > That was the same with KDE and blackbox graphic environment.
12 > I restarted X server each 5-6 hours and put free memory again (and that
13 > system worked)
14 > Same 2 days my session run stable without new restart.
15 > I think that a found the problem: firefox-bin.
16 > If I use that program (to use flash website) and I forget it open, X
17 > process starts to eat the memory; if I close it the problem diseappear
18 > and very slowly it releases the memory.
19 > Someone notice a similar problem?
20 > It is a bug? Where I must send it? As xorg or firefox-bin bug?
21 > I run a stable system (xorg-7.1).
22 > Each piece of advice is welcome.
23 > Thanks a lot,
24 > Luigi
25 Yes, this is a problem of firefox in general (why first I wrote
26 "genetal"?). It exists in windows' firefox, and obviously in *nix. I
27 reported the problem months ago, and nothing changed.
28
29 The problem, as far as I remember, was the firefox blocks pop-up
30 windows, thus growing in memory until you close it. Check, if there are
31 any pop-ups in the site causes the problem.
32 Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
35 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list