From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] ~* or -* Keyworded packages
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 19:29:08
1 Hi,
2
3 Miguel Filipe wrote:
4 > I've been trying to emerge gcc 4.0.2-r2, messing with
5 > /etc/portage/package.unmask & /etc/portage/package.keywords
6 > without success..
7 >
8 > the portage man page says that if a package has -* is know to be broken
9 > on all arches otherwise mentioned.
10 > So is 4.0.1, 4.0.0, 4.1-snapshot..
11 >
12 > I would expect it to be at least marked unstable "~amd64 .."
13
14 I hope you really know what you are doing (or trying to do). gcc-4.0 isn't
15 broken, but it is hard-masked because there are *major* changes, meaning you
16 should rebuild your whole system with it once you upgraded. That's why it is not
17 yet ~amd64 and we want to give it a long testing period. Another issue is that
18 gcc-4.0 is even stricter than 3.4, meaning lots of packages won't build anymore.
19 That's why we marked it -*, because we don't want to disappoint normal users who
20 aren't familiar with writing patches. And those who are, are clever enough to
21 unmask a hard masked package, it's not that hard after all.
22
23 > gentoo seems to have major problems in keeping up with the public
24 > releases.. its starting to look like debian stable....
25
26 Is this a 'i want to help'?
27
28 > also.. I don't see the point in having 3 types of tags: stable,
29 > unstable, broken.. maybe the same point of (stable, testing, unstable..
30 > ala debian)
31
32 You're mixing up quite unrelated things. -* is generally used for packages that
33 are only available for one or two arch (typical example: binary packages). When
34 it means 'broken', then it is only in the tree because it makes it easier for
35 devs to share ebuilds which they (and of course the 'advanced' users) can test.
36
37 > Nevermind, basically, I'm using gentoo since 1.0rc6 and starting to be
38 > disapointed by the slowness of having fresh software available..
39
40 If you feel more adventurous, use package.(unmask|keywords). It's a wonderful
41 tool to let the user decide himself what is stable enough for him.
42
43 > gnome 2.12 came out 7 of september, maybe when gnome 2.14 is out I can
44 > find it keyworded "amd64"..
45
46 Again, package.keywords if you agree. Since 1.0rc6, Gentoo has changed a lot.
47 We've got a huge user base, and we really don't feel like getting the same bug
48 reported 10 times just because we marked some untested piece of software stable.
49 It won't make most users very happy either, especially those who want a system
50 that 'just works'.
51
52 > In conclusion, package mantainance needs a new organizational way to scale..
53 > Or should I simply move to ~amd64, just like any debian user sets its
54 > system to testing without thinking twice, just after the install.
55
56 Moving to ~amd64 could be the right thing for you. But if you're running ~amd64
57 and get tons of bugs, don't bitch. Personally, I think everybody who runs ~amd64
58 should be filing bugs whenever he hits one. If you don't want to do that, keep
59 your system stable.
60
61 Regards,
64 Simon Stelling