From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers,
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 14:16:26
1 On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Frank Peters<frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > What does KDE, or Gnome for that matter, offer that a simple window
3 > manager cannot? I would claim that the benefits are all illusory.
4 > The user is deceived by the scintillating visual effects into believing
5 > that he possesses a tool extraordinaire.
6
7 Of course, if you're looking at KDE or Gnome as a simple window
8 manager they don't offer much over the others but their own look and
9 feel. And many people (me included) use it in that way. But there is
10 much more to KDE, it is an application development framework, a suite
11 of hundreds of applications, many integrated with each other (both
12 from a user's and developer's standpoint). And all the
13 semantic-desktop stuff that I still don't understand, but is
14 apparently supposed to be A Big Deal(tm).